Thursday, November 21, 2013

9. Interviewing a Relative

(I had some complications with posting the video so instead I hand wrote my interview)

For the interview I chose to talk to my Mom who has lived a somewhat interesting life and also had the time to talk to me!

Ben: Where were you born?

Mom: Denmark.

Ben: What was it like growing up in Denmark?

Mom: Growing up in Demark is very similar to growing up in America for me. I lived with my parents, went to school, and I had a job from very young. Since we lived in the country, we had farms with lot of work in the fields.

Ben: Did any historical events or something relative to that nature happen while you lived there?

Mom: In my lifetime, nothing historical happened, in Denmark at least, but my Mom would tell me about World War II. How the German army would fly over where they lived and they would have to hide in the fields.

Ben: Did the Germans ever do anything to them aside from just fly over?

Mom: Oh yes, they would shoot if they saw anything moving.

Ben: How and why did you move to the U.S., what was the experience like?

Mom: I came to the USA when I was 17 years old to work in a house as a nanny for 1 year. The lady that I work for was from the same island and town as I was from in Denmark. Here I meet my future husband and I stay in the USA.

Ben: Living in America, what struggles did you endure?

Mom: I have a pretty easy life the only thing I had some struggles with is the language and after 37 year here I still have a accent.

Ben: How did your life change or differ since being in America?

Mom: Since coming to America I been married for 36 years, had three wonderful sons, and now I am the proud grandma of 5 grand-kids. My life here has been great and would not change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment