Thursday, November 21, 2013

4. Make Something - Dad's Grape Leaves

Although my parents don't often cook, let alone cook food that is from their home country, my Dad will occasionally cook a delicious treat called grapes leaves.

Grapes leaves (final result displayed above) is an appetizer type dish that is typically rice and meat rolled into a grape leaf, hence the name. It may not look very appetizing and even skeptical to eat an actual leaf, I think it's a very delicious food and I am a VERY picky eater.

In order to make grape leaves the way my dad does, you will need the following ingredients:

1 lb Jar Orlando Brand Grape Leaves
2 Cups Long Grain Rice
1 Stick of Butter
2 lbs of Beef
2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
1 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp All Spice
4 Gloves Garlic - Minced
2 Tbsp Powder Onions

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl - melt the butter and put on top the mix and mix it again then open the grape leaves jar, separate the leaves rinse with cold water, pat to dry then put spoon fulls of the mix and roll the leaves. Stack inside a pot until you finish. Pour four cups of water on the rolled leaves and boil on high until the water is lowered then lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes more until all the water is gone. Enjoy!

This is pretty much the only thing I can relate to my father's home and I would say it's a good thing to relate it to!

No comments:

Post a Comment