Thursday, November 21, 2013

8. Immigrant Roots

I am of the first generation of my family to be born in America. My Mother and Father came to USA during the 1970's. As I stated in my family story, my Mom came to the U.S. as a foreign exchange student and my Dad came to work and establish a future for himself here in America. Once my Mom met my Dad, she decided to marry him and live in America to raise their family.

Both my parents spoke their native language, but knew bits and pieces of English to get by. With time they both began to speak fluent English and were able to thrive and make a living in St. Thomas. After having two children, my parents moved to Texas, where my Uncle on my Father's side had been living for some years. My parents established Texas as their home and have lived here ever since.

Unlike my siblings, I was the only one to be born here in Texas. Neither of my parents taught me nor my brothers their native languages, but I do feel as if it is very important to learn any language along with English to better thrive in the world and I hope that my parents will teach my children the languages they speak.

My parents didn't carry much or even any of there traditions or customs from back home despite a few from my Mother. Every December my Mom lights a candle every Sunday for the entire month as well as a special Month candle with the number of days on it every day. On Christmas day, we gather as a family to share my Mother's homemade rice pudding in which she puts a single almond in. Whoever gets the almond in there bowl of rice pudding receives a special gift.

Although my family has no lasting history of this country, it is just beginning. As I have children, I will pass on everything I can of my heritage to make sure my family will always retain its such special roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment